So it's that time again where I post my monthly book haul, it's in fact only the 12th of July at the minute but I want to make sure I get this up on time for the second month in a row, I understand that if I do manage this it will be a miracle. Any updates that I post now (31/7/2012) will be in italics.
So firstly I wanted to let you all know about the fact that I was on holiday and managed to buy 7 books, 3 of them are still at my grans house and i'll have to pick them up in a few weeks (more on that in a minute). Anyway I got one book at Tesco while we were shopping one day and the other 6 I got at my new favourite shop, The Works. Now the reason why I left some books was firstly because my suitcase was fit to burst and I actually had to sit on it to close it so that's why 3 of the books in my haul are still up there. Secondly I am travelling back up there in 2 weeks and 6 days to pick up the familys new puppy and so all I am taking is a little make-up, clothes for 5 days and my laptop, it's scary how little I want to pack considering i'm usually not very good at packing light. I don't think i'll even get a lot of reading done while i'm away because I will be too occupied with the puppy, who does not yet have a name (I'll update y'all with the details as we go along the journey with him) But he is a 4 week old Lurcher puppy that is chocolate brown and he is gorgeous. He is so cute...he is now 7 weeks old and i'm going to meet him tomorrow. Oh and his name is Milo.
Anyway onto the books which is essentially what you are all here for.
The first book that I bought this month was one that I was hoping to get for quite a while, The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks.
Now, Dear John and The Last Song are my favourite books of all time and I love Nicholas Sparks so I was intrigued to read one of his other books and this one, a Walk to Remember and The Notebook have been on my to be read list for a long time. I have read about 1 chapter of this book and sadly it hasn't captured my attention yet but i'm hopeful that it will in following chapters and knowing Sparks it will contain a fair amount of romance mixed with an even greater amount of tragedy. I still haven't had much of a chance to read this at all since i've been busy reading a few others that have been on my TBR list for a lot longer.
The second book that I picked up was Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater.
This book was one of the ones that I first spotted when I visited the works which I got very excited about. I have heard so many great things about this book as well as the rest of the series and so far I am about a quarter of the way through. It's not completely pulling me in yet and i'm not yet struggling to put it down at night unlike with other books that i've read recently but I am hoping that the story will pick up and i'll begin to enjoy it more. I finished this one a few weeks ago and I really started to like it especially when I got further into it and am looking forward to reading the sequel's soon.
The next books I picked up I decided to put together since they are part of a series and these are Linger and Forever by Maggie Stiefvater.
So I picked these ones up because it was 3 for £5 in The Works and I thought to myself well if these are over £5 each usually then it doesn't really matter if I only pay £5 for the series and don't like it that much. This was my justification anyway. These two are the ones I left at my Grans to pick up when I go back up in...well by the time you are reading this i'll already be there so I might have a better update on the series by then. I'm not away yet but i'm looking forward to this series more than I was in the start, the story started to pull me in a lot more by the time I got to the end.
The next book that I picked up was From Dead to Worse by Charlaine Harris.
So the story is, that I had no idea which order these books went in. It's bad I know. But I had no clue and so I decided that getting 2 more in the series that I definitely didn't have would be better than buying them in order and paying nearly £6 each so I just decided to get them. Anyway so I have books 1-5 and this is number 8 in the series so I didn't get it completely right but I got the cover that I wanted and at least it was cheaper than the others that i've bought so far. This book will be on my shelf for another while before I get to read it and is currently at the bottom of the TBR pile.
The 6th book that I bought this month was Definitely Dead by Charlaine Harris.
Again this was a wild guess with the number that this book appears in the series and this time I got it right. This is the 6th book in the series and I already had 1-5 so it was a decent guess. I'm not finished Dead as a Doornail yet so this book is still at my Grans too ready to be picked up when I have hopefully finished book number 5. Okay so I finished Dead as a Doornail and loved the way that the story is going. This is the book i'm most looking forward to making a start on.
And Finally the last book that I got this month was Extras by Scott Westerfeld.
Now some of you may have noticed that this is not the original cover that I had been collecting but, the new cover for Extras hasn't even come up on Waterstones yet so I don't think it will be for the forseeable future so I just bit the bullet and got the old cover even though it might look weird next to the others on my shelf i'm hoping that the story will make up for that. I really don't know anything about this book because I haven't even finished Specials yet but I am hoping the series doesn't go downhill any more than it already has.
I just wanted to add on my non book purchase of the month which is The Sims 3 Generations expansion pack which I am really looking forward to playing when it gets here. I've played this quite a few times and it's really really good.
p.s. I've started another series on my Step Dad's Kobo last night and will definitely be purchasing the real copy of the book...but i'm keeping that one a secret ;). I'll give you a clue; I did a lot of research on what this series is like before I started to read it... See if y'all can guess?
See you all next month
Leigh xoxo







No comments:
Post a Comment