Friday, 21 September 2012

Books to Films Series...#1 - Twilight Saga

Book...

The first time I read this I was around 16 years old and for me this was the first "friendly vampire-esque love story thing" that i'd come across and I adored it. The book really intrigued me and I loved the whole series. In the books my favourite was definitely Breaking Dawn because it had it all; the action, the suspense and the drama that I loved. However my least favourite book was New Moon, which turned out being one of my favourites of the films, but more on that later.

Film...

I went to see this film as soon as it came out and I was a little disappointed. From someone who has read the books so many times and could recite parts of it (embarrassing, I know) I knew a lot about what I wanted the film to be like and it did not live up to my expectations at all. Since the first film they have gotten better than the first one and looking back on it now the director must notice just how cringey it was. In the films my favourites are definitely different to that of the books with Eclipse being my favourite to date (although this may change when Breaking Dawn Part 2 comes out) and my least favourite film is Twilight. 

Comparison...

Plot...

The whole plot of this book had me sucked in (excuse the pun) from the get go. It was something new to me and I was really enjoying reading it. I borrowed the book from a friend but later went on to buy all of them for myself anyway and since then I have read the series a number of times (7 being that number). The plot was something that I loved about the book and for once in the film they actually didn't cut out a lot, this really surprised me because i'm so used to films leaving out huge chunks of important information but this one really didn't. All in all I definitely prefered the book even plot wise because even though the film was good plot wise it wasn't the same as the books. However i'd like to add that in the progression of the films the vampires abilities have become more what I expected them to be like, can we just take this moment to laugh at the vampires running in the first film? It's hilarious and i'm glad that it has progressed since then.

Characters...

This is where I have my rant. I loved the characters in the book. I related to Bella as if she was myself and then in the film they choose an actress who has the acting skill of a slug. She is just awful. I've seen her in a few other films but her acting has to be the worst in Twilight more than in anything else. Secondly in the books I fell in love with Edward and had pictures in my head of this amazingly beautiful guy that was amazing and we got Robert. What can I say? He is not the best looking guy and although his acting is marginally better than Kristen Stewarts it's not really award winning (well apparantly it is but I don't agree). Plus the rest of the cast are far too good looking, especially with these average looking actor/actress in the lead roles In the book I fell in love with Edward but in the film I fell in love with Emmett, Jasper, Carlisle, Laurent, James, Pretty much all the wolves and Jacob...ahh Jacob...In the book I imagine him as being cute but not boyfriend material whereas in the film I just prefer him so much more to Edward, another member of the cast that's too good looking for the role.


No comments:

Post a Comment