Hey everyone,
The first thing I have to say is that A Clash of Kings definitely wasn't as good as A Game of Thrones but I still managed to work my way through it albeit much much slower than the first book.
Because these books are so complex the way that I plan to explain everything that happens is to break it down into each main character but please note THIS WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS!!!
As with the previous book this book is written in the viewpoint of a number of characters, however as we lost one of the main characters in the first book his chapters have obviously not appeared in this book.
The book also contains two new viewpoint characters; Theon Greyjoy and Davos Seaworth.
Tyrion Lannister is of course back, and I think that he is one character that will be there until the very end. In this book he has absolutely tons of chapters, more then everyone else in the books at least. In this book the kingdom are all fighting for the Iron Throne as Joffrey is currently the king and everyone has been told about the fact that he is not the true heir as he was born of incest between Cersei Lannister and her twin brother Jaime. Tyrion does not particularly want his nephew on the throne either but he doesn't really have a choice. In this book Tyrion's chapters really bored me, the only thing getting me through them was his sense of humour.
Catelyn was as annoying as the first book through this one and I still haven't grown to like her. I have nothing to say about her chapters apart from the fact that she is with Robb while he is fighting wars. I really don't like her character at all and I feel that it would be so much more interesting if we had Robb's point of view rather than hers.
Davos is another character that I didn't really like, again it was all about the fighting which really bored me after a while and for a while I didn't understand him at all. After I actually had a picture of him in my head it was easier but I still didn't really like him which is disappointing because I was looking to the new and interesting POV.
Sansa is a character that I like, I feel sorry for her having to pretend that she still loves Joffrey after he ordered the execution of her father. Throughout the book her character progresses and she has to pretend that she still plans to marry Joffrey and be his wife. Nearing the end of the book we learn that Joffrey is no longer to marry her and is instead to marry Margery Tyrell who has recently lost her husband Renly Baratheon. Renly was a character that I thought I could like a lot but then he gets killed off. Sansa is very relieved and believes that she will get to go home to Winterfell but is reminded that in fact that she is a hostage and if Joffrey wants to bed her he will whether she is his wife or not.
Arya is a really good chapter in this book, she is travelling north to the wall to escape King's Landing pretending to be a boy bound for the Nights Watch, however as they are travelling they are captured and are taken to Harrenhall where they are unfairly treated and are forced to work. She manages to make it by with a few friends that she made while travelling and eventually she is owed a favour from one of the murderers that she helped escape and he helps her escape from Harrenhall to try to reach Riverrun where her mother grew up.
Bran becomes a lot more powerful in this book with his strange dreams about being his wolf Summer, he meets two of the children of the forest who explain to him that he is able to see through his wolf as a third eye. He then runs away from Winterfell when Theon Greyjoy comes to take it and we believe that he is dead but him and Rickon are in fact safe in the crypt underneath Winterfell
Jon is still one of my favourite characters, he is travelling above the wall which is really interesting and I was excited to hear about what lurks above the wall. When they travel to a village where a man lives with many women we wonder why and soon discover that each of the girls are his wives but are also his daughters. These women are forced to bear his children and if the baby happens to be a boy he sacrifices it to the gods so that he does not have any competition from other men in the village. When Jon is captured by some Wildings we meet Ygritte who is an amazing character in my opinion and I hope to see more of her in coming books.
Theon's chapters actually interested me because we do not know anything about where he comes from and so we get a view of the Iron Islands and the way in which they live which is very different to Winterfell. Theon meets his family again and when he first meets his sister he does not realise who she is and ends up with his hands in an inappropriate place of hers. Later when she tells him who she is he is mortified but blames her for not telling him in the first place. He then goes to take over Winterfell where he pretends to kill Bran and Rickon.
Daenerys, I still love her so much and this book didn't disappoint, she travels to a city named Quarth with her dragons where she meets an old warlock with blue lips who invited her to the House of the Undying. This was my favourite part of the book but I can't even begin to explain the complexity of the whole thing. I adored it. Her dragons are the best characters and I can't wait to meet them some more in the next book.
Overall this book did not beat A Game of Thrones, not even close, but i've already made a start on A Storm of Swords Part 1 and I have heard a lot of great things about it.
Talk to you all soon
Leigh xoxo
Nice 1...keep it up...Rahul from India...:-)
ReplyDelete