Wednesday, 24 July 2013

13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson Review

13 Little Blue Envelopes - Review

This month I decided to give this book a go, it's been on my TBR list for way over a year and I just have never gotten around to reading it until now. 

I picked this book up the other day and I fell in love with it, it literally took me 2 days to read this thing it's so amazing.


The back of this book says:

Ginny, aged 17, is left 13 little blue envelopes by her free-spirited young Aunt Peg. Little does she know just how much they will change her life…
• Inside envelope No 1 is money and instructions to buy a plane ticket.
• Inside envelope No 2 are directions to a specific London flat
• Inside envelope No 3 a note to Ginny says: Find a starving artist.
• And because of envelope No 4 Ginny and a man called Keith go to Scotland together, with somewhat disastrous – though utterly romantic – results.

The whole story revolves around Ginny, a 17 year old girl who is left a series of envelopes by her Aunt Peg, in these envelopes are instructions that will take Ginny on a journey of self discovery and put her in situations that she never thought that she would find herself in. 

PLOT:

I love how the whole story is laid out, the idea that each envelope leads to a place and has distinct instructions on what Ginny has to do in that place. The idea of travel has always appealed to me but I don't think that I could do what Ginny is doing, she's adventurous and she sticks by what her Aunt's letters tell her to do and is doing all of this without any form of communication. This books seems to me to outline the fact that it is possible to live without phones and email and that Ginny is doing so. There is such a dependency on electronics in society that this really shows that with a backpack and a map anything is possible.

CHARACTERS:

Ginny - Ginny is a 17 year old girl who loved her Aunt Peg, she always loved listening to her stories of her travels. I really like Ginny's character and it's so interesting to see the development of her character through the whole book. She goes from being shy and scared to a more independent and strong young woman.

Aunt Peg - Aunt Peg was a free spirit, she loved to travel without any real known destination and she traveled all over the world just seeing what happened when she got there, she was an artist and she just loved to meet new people.

Keith - This guy sounds hot, the drama student from London he seems to also be a free spirit much like Aunt Peg was with no real direction in life he just wants to see where the ride will take him.

All in all I loved this book, the plot was interesting and unusual, not like anything else i've read and it's definitely something that i'd like to try again in the future. I recommend this to anyone who liked The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E Smith.

Any questions or comments please feel free to comment below.

Speak soon

Leigh xoxo 

No comments:

Post a Comment