Wednesday, 1 May 2013

Can You Keep A Secret? by Sophie Kinsella Review...

Can You Keep A Secret? Review

Can you keep a secret? by Sophie Kinsella is an amazing romantic book, I read it extremely quickly and it's definitely something which appeals to me as it reminds me slightly of my own book which I am currently in the process of writing.


                         Emma is sitting on a turbulent plane. She's always been a very
                         nervous flyer. She really thinks that this could be her last 
                         moment. So, naturally enough, she starts telling the man sitting 
                         next to her - quite a dishy American, but she's too frightened to 
                         notice -all her innermost secrets. How she scans the backs of 
                         intellectual books and pretends she's read them. How she does 
                         her hair up like Princess Leia in her bedroom. How she's not sure if 
                         she has a G-spot, and whether her boyfriend could find it anyway. 
                         How she feels like a fraud at work - everyone uses the word 
                         'operational' all the time but she hasn't a clue what it means. 
                         How the coffee at work is horrible. How she once threw a 
                         troublesome client file in the bin. If ever there was a bare soul, 
                         it's hers.
                         She survives the flight, of course, and the next morning the famous 
                         founding boss of the whole mega corporation she works for is coming 
                         for a look at the UK branch. As he walks around, Emma looks up and 
                         realises...
                         It's the man from the plane.
                         What will he do with her secrets? He knows them all - but
                         she doesn't know a single one of his. Or... does she?

PLOT

This book has a very good storyline, it's quick paced and extremely enjoyable. When I first read the blurb I was immediately intrigued and was desperate to read this book however, as always the book got put on the back burner and even though I first found it over a year ago i've only just gotten around to reading it. The whole story is seen through Emma's perspective, she works in a company as a Marketing Junior. When she is travelling back from a disaster of a business trip the plane hits some turbulence and in true Emma fashion she panics. While thinking that she is going to die Emma spills every one of her secrets to the man sitting beside her. Everything about her life including the secret code her and her friend have in work to sneak out to Starbucks and that she faked a grade on her CV. The story revolves around the fact that the man from the plane is actually the owner of the company and he knows everything about Emma.

CHARACTERS

Emma - Emma is a typical girl, she lies about her weight and worries about how she looks, she puts on a front and has secrets from everyone. She is a pretty unlucky and her life just seems to have disaster after disaster, this makes her all the more likable and I felt like I could really relate to her.

Jack - Jack is the CEO of the company that Emma works for and is also the man from the plane, he is witty and handsome and generally a really likable character however occasionally he seems distant and standoffish. This makes his character all the more mysterious and personally made me more interested in him and his back story.

All in all this story is an interesting one, the whole idea is very intriguing and the lighthearted romance side is really well written, the characters and plot are both very likable and it's something which I think I will probably read again in the future as well as looking for other Sophie Kinsella books and see if anything can live up to this one. I give this book 5 out of 5 stars and I definitely recommend it to anyone who likes a romance novel with a good plot and lots of twists and turns.

Speak to you all soon 

Leigh xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment